POSITION SUMMARY: River Network seeks a talented marketing and communications professional with nonprofit experience to join our geographically dispersed team on a full time basis. This position will be responsible for maintaining River Network’s inclusive and diverse visual identity, expanding our brand identity, integrating our program work into regular outreach and marketing, overseeing the content management for and production of a number of our regular publications, and promoting our learning opportunities for greater reach and influence. These activities are all part of the River Network’s annual marketing and communications plan that supports goals and metrics articulated in our strategic plan. This position works with every person on the River Network team to deliver results that help build a more diverse and inclusive movement for our nation’s waters. Our ideal candidate is creative, easy to get along with, technologically savvy, a social media pro, likes to find novel solutions, is highly organized, thinks outside the box, and enjoys working across programs, geographies, partnerships, disciplines and at the intersection of equity and water to deliver results.
ABOUT RIVER NETWORK: River Network envisions a future of clean and ample water for people and nature, where local caretakers are well-equipped, effective and courageous champions for our rivers. River Network’s mission is to empower and unite people and communities to protect and restore rivers and other waters that sustain all life. Visit www.rivernetwork.org to learn more about our current priorities. Our headquarters are in Boulder, Colorado and we have staff located in communities across the U.S. We are committed to embracing diversity, equity and inclusion in all areas to achieve our mission – explore our core values and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, our explanation for why equity, diversity an inclusion are the foundation of our mission, and our principles for equitable and inclusive work. Through our programs, we seek to connect with all communities and increase the impact of their efforts to secure clean and ample water. Through our internal practices and external leadership, we seek an inclusive workplace culture that attracts diverse staff, board, members, and supporters.
- Design and execute River Network’s annual marketing and communications plan in alignment with our strategic plan and annual work plan that includes:
- Goals, strategies and tactics: Establish measurable goals with specific strategies that utilize River Network’s assets (website, newsletters, publications, River Rally, social media, webinars, and of course our staff), provide clarity for how to expand brand reach using stories from programmatic deliverables, and include targeted tactics when appropriate (e.g., River Rally press kit, River Rally email campaign, crowd funding, etc.)
- Annual calendar, quarterly tracking, and weekly reminders: In coordination with Leadership Team and others, create and then track an annual calendar of assignments, roles and responsibilities, resulting in shared ownership and focus. Provide weekly reminders on assignments and production schedule.
- Budget: Work with Director of Finance to understand budget for the year and opportunities for growth.
- Oversee the production of specific regular River Network publications, including coordination with external graphic designers, identification and coordination of staff and external contributors, establishment of timelines for delivery, collecting articles and images and other content for inclusion, currently including:
- River Network’s monthly e-newsletter - River Voices.
- River Network’s annual report (once annually) and trends report (every few years).
- River Network brochures and other collateral marketing materials (as needed – several a year).
- Maintain and grow River Network’s digital brand and impact on donors, supporters, and investors:
- Manage and expand our social media presence (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram), helping turn followers into River Network activists and supporters.
- Seek “earned media” attention, and when appropriate “paid media”, for River Network “owned media” (produced articles, newsletters, blogs, reports and press releases).
- Manage and refresh River Network’s website content in collaboration with the Leadership Team and other staff, including developing and posting new content (stories, videos, photography, jobs/events, resources, etc.) and images that represent the diverse and inclusive movement for our nations waters
- Analyze trends using Google Analytics to track website traffic and performance, and report 5x/year.
- Elevate stories and successes from across the nationwide network of water protectors, including how River Network adds value, via direct capture of stories, engagement with journalists, and media outreach:
- Explore and understand River Network’s programmatic work and key issues critical to today’s water crisis.
- Establish relationships with relevant media outlets, create press kits, and write press releases.
- Engage media via River Rally and other opportunities, identifying opportunities to expand our impact.
- Expand the reach of our learning opportunities:
- Develop marketing content for, manage and implement annual promotion calendar of River Network’s produced and supported webinars and training programs including emails, social media posts, etc.
- Develop marketing content for, manage and implement annual promotion calendar for River Network’s signature annual conference, River Rally, including emails, social media posts, etc.
- Help River Network achieve its communications goals with donors, supporters, and investors as well as members:
- Provide messaging guidance and review for consistency across all audiences in collaboration with Leadership Team and in particular staff involved with fundraising and Membership Associate.
- Oversee mass e-communications and help assure appropriate cadence and timing with partners above.
- Exceptional aptitude and relevant experience in developing and implementing marketing and communications strategies, overseeing brand identity, website management, social media impact, using mass email marketing programs integrated with relational databases, and generating press coverage and attention.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills with an impeccable level of accuracy.
- Highly technologically capable with website platforms (WordPress in particular), mass email programs (MailChimp in particular linked to contacts/accounts in Salesforce), and Microsoft Office Suite and products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Sharepoint), and Salesforce (our CRM database), etc.
- Interpersonal savvy, positive, self-motivated, and quick learner with an upbeat attitude, entrepreneurial spirit, drive to succeed with a wide range of people, and demonstrated ability to excel on a decentralized and virtual team.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, defining and tracking deadlines, progress, and contributions of others; manage multiple projects simultaneously; and meet deadlines on time and within budget.
- Commitment to values of mutual respect and collaboration, teamwork, inclusiveness, and diversity.
- Experience with graphic design highly desirable (e.g., InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe Suite, etc.).
- Experience with public relations and media strategy development and execution (earned and paid media).
- Interest in or experience with Salesforce, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and direct mail.
- Commitment to and interest in learning more about water issues nationally and with respect to equity.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter and resume as one integrated PDF document to Nicole Silk (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS” in the subject line of the email. Applicants will be asked for references, work samples, simulations, and answers to questions as appropriate to find the best candidate. Position will remain open until filled with expectation of a May or June start date. No phone calls please.