Title: Associate General Counsel
Department: Legal & Strategic Initiatives
Reports To: General Counsel & SVP of Strategic Initiatives
Positions Reporting to this Position: Compliance Director, Law clerk(s)
Location: Flexible (the employee may work remotely and/or from an LCV office)
Travel Requirements: Up to 5%
Union Position: No
Job Classification Level: M-III
Salary Range (depending on experience): $102,000-$150,000
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring an Associate General Counsel who will be responsible for providing legal counsel and guidance of all LCV family organizations, including a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, a 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, and various political entities.
The Associate General Counsel provides legal oversight and risk management on a variety of issues involving the organization’s structure, government and regulatory compliance, governance, and contractual arrangements. The Associate General Counsel provides advice and training to staff, including senior staff, in matters including, but not limited to, electoral and political activities and communications, compliance with tax law and IRS regulations for nonprofit and charitable organizations, fundraising, telecommunications, and other risk management, with a particular emphasis on election and campaign finance matters. The Associate General Counsel supervises the Compliance Director and compliance team, as well as law clerks, as needed, and provides support to the General Counsel and SVP of Strategic Initiatives on departmental and budget management.
- Advise on the conduct and structure of electoral activities and programs, including independent expenditure activities, coordinated activities and in-kind contributions, and candidate fundraising activities. Ensure that LCV and affiliated entities are in compliance with applicable federal, state and/or local election law, including registration and reporting requirements.
- Supervise, lead and develop Compliance Director and compliance team, and provide oversight of their work managing campaign finance compliance reporting processes. Review and approve filings with the FEC, IRS, and state agencies.
- Work with Human Resources to respond to employee relations and labor management matters by providing day-to-day legal advice and counseling on a wide range of activities and programs related to employment and labor matters.
- Advise on compliance with federal and state lobbying and ethics laws and regulations, including the Lobbyist Disclosure Act and associated reporting.
- Advise on the conduct of fundraising and advocacy activities, including telemarketing, direct mail, text messaging campaigns, online and television advertising, field canvassing, and social media in accordance with applicable law, and review public communications and materials.
- Draft, review and negotiate contractual agreements of all types and oversee the organization’s contract management system.
- Draft and review grant agreements, reports, and proposals.
- Advise on federal and state telecommunications law issues, particularly issues relating to the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Develop and conduct staff trainings on legal issues, organizational policies and procedures, and conduct legal orientation sessions for new staff members.
- Conduct other legal research and prepare memos and other communications for the General Counsel, as needed.
- Track legal developments and pending legislation and regulations that may impact the organization’s operations or activities.
- Assist in developing, implementing and monitoring compliance with organizational policies and procedures.
- Aid the General Counsel in corporate and governance oversight.
- Work collaboratively with outside counsel and monitor and identify when seeking advice of outside counsel is warranted.
- Provide proactive guidance and advice to staff and work consistently and creatively to ensure that all staff can have their legal needs met efficiently, equitably, and respectfully and in alignment with our organizational values of accountability, anti-racism, community, innovation, learning and sustainability.
- Center racial justice and equity in the design and execution of work, staff engagement, and leadership, and contribute to the goal of becoming an anti-racist organization.
- Assist General Counsel in department management and operations, including budgeting, department’s racial justice and equity goal setting and tracking, board updates and other reports, as needed.
- Travel up to 5% of the time for staff retreats, training, and conferences, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Education: JD degree from an accredited law school; bar membership in good standing in at least one state or the District of Columbia required.
- Work Experience: Required – At least five years of full-time experience in law, with experience in nonprofit operations and governance, nonprofit tax law, and federal and state campaign finance law. Experience drafting or negotiating contractual agreements. Management and supervisory experience, including supervising other attorneys and/or law clerks. Preferred – Experience in employment, labor and or immigration law. Experience working with or for regulatory agencies.
- Skills: Required – Demonstrates expertise in a variety of legal field’s concepts, practices, and procedures. Demonstrated relationship building skills; solid judgment; critical thinking skills; a sense of teamwork and community; ability to handle multiple tasks; highly organized. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to build relationships with all staff levels. Ability to communicate legal concepts and guidelines to staff and conduct effective trainings. Proficient computer skills and research abilities using the Internet. Specific technical skills are required in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Drive, and Westlaw. Ability to work under pressure under multiple deadlines and shifting priorities. Ability to manage confidential information. Preferred – Spanish language competency.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. A commitment to the complex understanding of racial justice and the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity within our political system. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understanding of the ways in which principles of racial justice and equity are vital to addressing climate change effectively.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. Applicants need to be located in and legally authorized to work in the United States. LCV requires all employees working from our offices or participating in in-person meetings or events to be fully up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccinations, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
LCV offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes vacation, sick and parental leave, personal days, paid holidays, health insurance (two plan options for staff to choose from), dental and vision insurance, life and disability insurance (short- and long-term), Flexible Spending Account, 401(k) retirement plan with company matching contribution, commuter benefits program, sabbatical, and student loan assistance.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Associate General Counsel” in the subject line by June 26, 2023. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.