Katten is a full-service law firm with approximately 700 attorneys in locations across the United States and in London and Shanghai. Clients seeking sophisticated, high-value legal services turn to Katten for counsel locally, nationally and internationally. The firm’s core areas of practice include corporate, financial markets and funds, insolvency and restructuring, intellectual property, litigation, real estate, structured finance and securitization, transactional tax planning, private credit and private wealth. Katten represents public and private companies in numerous industries, as well as a number of government and nonprofit organizations and individuals.
The Billing Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day administration of billing procedures and preparation of client billing by compiling data from client billing guidelines and preparing invoices. This position requires client and attorney contact. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and firm matters.
Ability and availability to work from November 15th through January 31st preferably with minimum scheduled time off (excluding medical/family emergencies) in order to meet billing, eBilling and collection deadlines at year-end.
Katten offers a hybrid work model, allowing the flexibility to work both on-site and remotely on a regular basis (KattenFlex).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Preparation of client invoices and statements of account as requested by attorneys, or as required by client billing guidelines.
- Review of prebills for accuracy and compliance with client guidelines prior to forwarding to attorneys for review.
- Maintenance of billing instructions and partner preferences as needed to prepare invoices taking note of client billing guidelines. Ensure informaiton is available to all billing team members as needed during absence to mitigate delays in billing.
- Revise invoices per attorney feedback, and on occasion based on feedback from clients, or other finance cohorts.
- Prepare Excel spreadsheets as requested by partners or clients including information in support of client invoices.
- Obtain appropriate approvals for write-offs of WIP and AR.
- Prepare Excel spreadsheets as requested to track of client WIP and AR, including write offs and payments.
- Preparation of invoice write-offs to reflect client discounting or additional reductions as requested by attorneys.
- Utilize computerized accounting and billing software programs to enter and compile data.
- Perform job responsibilities with a high level of customer service focus, ensuring clear and concise communications at all times.
- Ad hoc special projects when necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts or accounting; business internship while pursuing undergraduate degree is preferred, but not required.
- Computer proficient with experience and working knowledge of Excel, Outlook, and MS Word required.
- Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to conduct analysis of complex client billing problems, reconciliation of billing related issues, ability to multi-task with numerous reports simultaneously.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in order to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment, and ensure work is completed within strict deadlines. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish information in report/Excel format, written correspondence, e-mail, or verbally.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, verifying numerical data, processing moderately complex client billing, preparing various billing reports, and adjustments to clients invoicing, write downs and processing write-offs.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to interpret source data, prepare moderately complex client billing, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
- Work occasionally requires more than 37.5 hours per week (35 hours per week in New York) to perform the essential duties of the position. Ability to work overtime when required at month-end and year-end in order to process heavy volume of client billing.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution, parental leave, transportation fringe benefit program, back-up care option, generous paid time off policy, and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA-M/F/SO/Disability/Veteran.
Work at Home, Collections, Corporate Finance, Administrative Support, General-Other: Legal
The annualized salary range for this position is $48,265 to $77,223. Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law.